Joining the industry-wide race for dominance in tools to engineer the Internet of Things, Altair last month acquired Carriots S.L. The Madrid-based IoT technology company is the developer of Carriots, a complete IoT application enablement platform (AEP) to rapidly connect and manage devices, collect and analyze data, and build intelligent applications together with enterprise business systems. The addition of an IoT platform to Altair’s CAE, cloud analytics and HPC portfolio, the company says, “offers customers a highly scalable software stack to develop, enable, manage and optimize devices throughout their lifecycle.”
“Combining Altair’s software suites with Carriots’ solutions for the IoT will provide our customers with the complete stack of technology they need to create, simulate and manage their new connected products over complete lifecycles,” said Carriots founder Miguel Castillo. “We are joining forces with a leader in product design and engineering, and as part of the Altair team we can now better help organizations capture the full value of IoT.”
Altair founder, chairman and CEO James R. Scapa observed, “As connectivity and intelligence become part of almost everything with which we interact, performance optimization has evolved to be a continuous process throughout a product’s lifecycle. We are combining Altair and partner technologies with the Carriots platform to become a leader in IoT, including applications to support our customers’ digital twin strategies.”
Carriots’ goal: “To help anyone build applications for the Internet of Things”
“Our goal at Carriots is to help anyone build applications for the Internet of Things,” the company says. “We believe small entrepreneurs or large companies can create amazing new connected products. Make smart-objects by just connecting them to Carriots and build applications for them. Carriots will help you build applications very quickly, saving you time, cost and trouble. You can start by collecting data from sensors and program actions for them.”
The company offers a free-account option to let potential users try and test its platform immediately with no commitment. At the other extreme, “our corporate solutions offer you the possibility to scale up to millions of devices, paying as you grow, and with the help and support of our consulting services.”
Carriots originated from a spinoff of Wairbut’s (www.wairbut.com) M2M (Machine-to-Machine) division, a company with over ten years’ experience in engineering IT solutions for large international companies. Prior to becoming Carriots, the division’s expertise in M2M was backed up by engineering contracts with industry leaders including Telefónica Group and Vodafone Group to deliver end-to-end solutions and consultancy services. In 2011 Carriots S.L. was incorporated in Spain to focus on development of its PaaS solution for building IoT solutions. The company is majority-owned by its executives and Wairbut Group.
How the platform works
Carriots lays out three core value propositions for its IoT application enablement platform:
- “Create amazing products and services with our Internet of Things Platform.”
- “Connect your things to the Internet easily.”
- “Build your intelligent apps with Carriots in five steps.”
The five steps:
1. Connect your devices
Connect any type of device:
- Any type of device: sensors, gateways, machines and much more.
- Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Nanode, others.
- Essentially any hardware with web connectivity.
- Persons, animals, objects and/or machines.
2. Collect data
Send your data to Carriots using the company’s HTTPS RESTful API to push and pull XML or JSON data:
- Simple and fast—all that’s needed is a web connection.
- Secure: Apikeys, checksums and HTTPS.
- Any kind of data—temperature, complex sensor lectures, custom data streams, etc.
- Carriots stores the data in its NoSQL big-database for customers’ subsequent use.
- Manage devices and data
Manage your devices:
- Deploy, interact, enable or disable your devices from Carriots.
- Check status and manage configurations and firmware remotely.
- Extend device properties and manage security.
Manage your data:
- Publish it through Carriot’s REST API.
- Download it from Carriot’s NoSQL storage environment.
- Push it to external IT systems.
- Build your app
“Your app, your rules”:
- If-then-else approach with simple expressions.
- Full complex logic with Groovy scripts.
- PUSH and PULL strategies.
- Build your complete control panel over Carriots’ REST API in any language.
- Integrate your IoT data in external data flows or to interact with other things/systems.
- “We run it!”
Available, scalable and secure IoT:
- Carriots PaaS has been designed to be always up.
- Scale up to millions of devices.
- Focus on your apps and let Carriots provide the needed systems, security and communications.
- Save development time.
- Forget about IT infrastructure cost, problems and scalability issues.
- “Fast prototyping: start your IoT project with Carriots.”
- “Ready to deploy your big IoT solution? Talk with us.”